Friday, July 11, 2008

To Do Today: Conquer the World

I have never seen the movie, but I have heard from many many people that it is a great example of excellent acting. Once I get my netflix up and going, I will watch it right away!

I thought I would share with you my "bucket list." I wrote it during a time in my life that I would probably label as my "darkest hour." Of course, I know that I will have much harder times to go through as I grow up, but this time was particularly tough.

It was during my freshman semester of college, when half of my best friends moved away for college, and the other half stayed here. Ian had just moved to Virginia for school, and though we didn't realize it at the time, we had just started falling for each other that summer. In case you didn't know, that was also the semester that my health deteriorated. Doctor visits and pain medications, steroids and referrals, tears and fears over a health problem that was physically wrecking havoc. It was muscular. It was in my joints. It was in my bones. The pain that I remember was unbearable, and the fatigue that came with it was strange. At first I couldn't climb stairs, which meant that I had to find spots to park on the ground level, and always had to wait for elevators at school. But then it grew worse. I remember the day I tried to grip a pencil for longer than 30 seconds, and realizing the muscle fatigue would make it impossible to write.

My mom went with me to all of those appointments and was this incredible rock on to which I could lean on. It was so scary not knowing what the problem was. I remember being afraid that I wasn't going to live. And then, prayers from everyone we knew began to surround us, and although the doctors remained stumped despite the bloodtests with no results, I at least had hope.

That's when I sat down with a notebook that two of my dear friends, Ben Hogue and Amanda Crane had given me, to write out all of the things I wanted to do with my life once I got through this.

So below is some from my list of gigantic "to do's." I haven't accomplished most of them, but of course, that's the point! I have my whole life to live to see and do all of the things on my list. I hope this might inspire you to dig out your old list (or begin one!) and decide some things YOU want to accomplish!

  • Go Parasailing
  • See DaVinci's "The Last Supper"
  • Go to a Movie Premier
  • Learn Arabic or Swahili
  • See a volcano...in action!
  • Make a good lasagna
  • Go skydiving
  • Ride a Jetski
  • Go to Europe
  • Speak French in France
  • See the Eiffel Tower- to the top!
  • Graduate College
  • Paint a room
  • Learn to Drive Stickshift
  • Visit Normandy
  • Learn to Whistle
  • Get married
  • Learn to Wink
  • Visit Rome
  • Learn to Juggle
  • See the Blue Grotto
  • Read the Entire Bible
  • Have 5,000 in savings
  • Have 10,000 in savings
  • Make a mosaic design
  • Read Frankenstein
  • Send a letter to the president
  • Receive a response from the President
  • Go horseback riding on a beach
  • Stand underneath of a waterfall
  • Visit Petra
  • Learn to play the guitar
  • Shake hands or hug a monkey
  • Ride a Camel
  • Have hcildren
  • Learn to ballroom dance
  • Play the harmonica
  • Visit Ellis Island
  • Learn to play chess
  • Walk along the Great China Wall
  • See the Florida Keys
  • Go Snorkeling
  • Write a book
  • Get a book published
  • keep a journal for 1 year
  • Work at a summer camp
  • Be a lifeguard
  • Rescue someone as a lifeguard
  • Adopt an animal
  • Go to an important Braves game
  • Learn CPR
  • Grow a sunflower
  • Send out Christmas Cards
  • Go to an Opera
  • See Snowfall
  • Make a snowman
  • Have a snowball fight
  • No longer need contacts
  • Dye my hair
  • Cut someone's hair
  • Hold a frog
  • Learn to knit
  • Play golf with my dad
  • Make meatloaf
  • Play tennis and get good at it
  • Make a quilt
  • Learn to crochet
  • Throw a surprise party
  • Straddle state lines
  • Learn archery
  • Go swimming with dolphins
  • Make a full Thanksgiving Dinner
  • Flip a House
  • Ride in a Hot Air balloon
  • Go to a Carnival or Fair
  • Read Pride and Prejudice
  • Learn to play the violin

3 comments:

Marsha C said...

Hey Baby Girl,
That is some list you have there. Isn't it great to know that you have already conquered some of it. Now you and Ian can work on the rest of it together. I hope you are having a great day. I love you and miss you. I can't wait to see you tomorrow.
Love, Momma

Emily said...

Wow, Britt!
I didn't realize you had been through such a scare! I'm so impressed that you have a bucket list! I've never had one and certainly never would've thought at your age to write one! I don't even have one now! What a wise girl you are and not to be left out, what an accomplished girl you are!! I hope you know that I hope my girls become the wonderful, growing, Godly, wise, compassionate, thoughtful woman that you are! Your parents should be so very proud of both you and Heather because they've raised awesome women!! Just so you remember, we ( the whole Vargas clan) love and miss you very much!!

Angela said...

I have faith in you. I know that you CAN and WILL accomplish MANY of these things on your list!!! Have you read Frankestein yet? I had to read it in my Humanities class and was not happy when I found out. Let me tell you I LOVED IT!!! I really loved reading Mary Shelleys Biography first~ who knew?? :)

As for your health, Praise God that you are WELL. I love you, Britty Brit.