Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Old Year's Reflections

Today, as I was cleaning our little apartment home for our "New Year's Eve Party" (aka Sam is coming over and he and Ian are going to play video games, I am sure,) I was listening to one of my favorite cd's. It's called "Hymns:Ancient and Modern" and it is wonderful. My favorite song on there would have to be "The Doxology," and I thought I would use it as a way to reflect on this past year.

Check THIS out to read up on the history of the song:

The Doxology

Praise God from whom all blessings flow;

God, thank You for everything you have done for me and my family this past year. Helping me get through my final internship, graduation, the planning and implementing of our wedding, the establishment of our marriage, moving to Gainesville, miracleously getting the job at Borders, Ian having a steady-flexible job, my getting a job teaching, the peace You gave us when I lost that job, and the hope in the future position you have set in front of me. Thank You for all You have done. Even when I am not the most grateful, in retrospect, I can see Your hand on our lives.

Praise him, all creatures here below;

God, thank You for allowing me to take part in your beautiful creation. From Virginia, to seeing the Keys for the first time, to snorkling and realizing how intricate Your designs are, to flying up the eastern seaboard to Rhode Island, to hiking in the Georgia mountains, and to sitting in the quiet stillness at the beach, I praise You for making a creation we can marvel at. I have so many questions for You about the how's and why's of Your design, but I know the answers will come with time.

Praise him above, ye heavenly host:

It took me awhile on this one God. I had to really think hard on what this line means. I believe it means that, as Your creation, Your child, my goal in life should be to honor and praise You with all that I do, so that, eventually, my praising you becomes equal/surpassing that of the angels in heaven. I can't do this task alone, God, so for now, I praise You for how You have brought this to my attention and pointed out the meaning of this line. It might take me my whole life to get to this point, but at least I know what I am working towards.

Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

God, thank You so much for being my Father, for loving me only as a Father could. And thank You for sending Your Son to live and die for me, so that I might one day be with You. God, I praise and thank You for leaving us with the Holy Spirit (or Ghost,) for I do not know how I would hear that "still small voice," without it. Thank you for the direction in my life and I am looking forward to learning more about You, and Your word in the coming year.

Amen


Happy 100th Post
From Brittney at
Witheagerhands

No comments: