Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Blogging Book Goal- Book #14

Wow, I feel like I'm really speeding through these! And, as I write this post, I only have 10 more pages left on my next book! I guess that means I have found some good books to read.





Some of you have asked me how I find such quality books, and the answer is: through recommendation! Just like you are reading my recommendation to you, these books have almost all been recommended to me by people I respect. And I believe that is the key. Sure you can see that a book is a bestseller, but are people you respect reading it? That will tell you if is the type of reading material you should be surrounding yourself with.



Person after person has recommended this book to us, and our Pastor who did our pre marital counseling said that this book was a must. I remember it being on the shelves at my house growing up, but figured it was old, outdated, and inapplicable.

Boy, was I wrong!

The book is based on Mr. Chapman's research into how each person has their own individual love language. They are Quality Time, Physical Touch, Words of Affirmation, Gifts, and Acts of Services.

The problem arises, he says, when we marry, and our spouse "speaks," a different love language. For example, if you marry a man whose love language is Acts of Service and he constantly helps around the house to show you his love, but your love language is Physical Touch, and he is so busy cleaning that he never touches you, you will feel unloved.

The book is an easy read (meaning it doesn't read like a text book- boring!) and is thoroughly researched. I like how each chapter is jam packed with real life examples of marital issues that have occured.

I knew right away that my Love Language was Gifts, but up until now, I always felt guilty that my love language involved giving more than yourself, it involves giving actual gifts! I thought Mr. Chapman did a great job soothing my fears though by explaining that one love language was no worse than the next, as long as we have realistic expectations.

My husband is set to read this book next, and to figure out his love language, because, honestly, I couldn't figure his out! He likes a little bit of Words of Affirmation, Acts of Service, and Quality Time, but we want to figure out his main one.

I'd recommend this book to anyone, married or not, because it affects how you relate to everyone in your life!

3 comments:

Brittne said...

Hubby and I have 2 copies of this book! Haha it definately is a MUST read!!!

Jessica said...

I read this book a few months ago and thought it made so much sense. It is a really good book! My love language is DEFINITELY quality time, but I also can't figure out my husband's. He hates to read, so I might just have him fill out the quiz in the back of the book since I can't figure him out!

OlyviaNoel said...

We have this book on our bookshelf and I'm ashamed to say I've never read it - even after hearing so much about it! I'm definitely going to make it a must-read for this summer :)