Sunday, July 19, 2009

Blogging Book Goal- Book #20

Oi. Vey.

This book has taken me almost 2 months to read, and it is only 140 pages!

Seriously.

As you might have noticed, I have been reading alot of Mr. Lewis' books during this year long reading goal project, because I think it is important to expose yourself to many of the classic literary works that are out there. Too often we read only "bestsellers," and fad books, and forget to go back to the staples of literature. I chose C.S. Lewis this year to focus in on because of how many of his books are considered "classics," (over 10 of his books are, including The Chronicles of Narnia.)

So, when I borrowed this book from my friend Sam, to read over the summer, I had no idea how hard it would be to get through. Not that it wasn't beautifully and eloquently written, but because I do not have a mind for philosophy.

Sure, use a well phrased analogy, and I'll run with it, but use a well phrased analogy for over 20 pages and you will probably lose me.

This book discusses the four types of love that there are, how they apply to us, and how they can be corrupted.

I will have to read this book 3 more times in order to have a full grasp of its contents...but even then....

Ian (my husband,) read this book a couple of years ago and found a quote in it that really touched him. He bought a pillowcase, and a fabric marker, and wrote the quote on it for me as a Christmas present....

Years later, at our wedding reception, we had that quote, a favorite Bible verse, and other trivia printed on plate decoration for our guests to read and learn more about us.

"Need-love says of a woman "I cannot live without her";
Gift-love longs to give her happiness, comfort, protection — if possible, wealth;
Appreciative love gazes and holds its breath and is silent, rejoices that such a wonder should exist even if not for him, will not be wholly dejected by losing her, would rather have it so than never to have seen her at all."
-C.S. Lewis (The Four Loves)

No comments: