Sunday, September 16, 2012

{Freezer Meals} Chicken Pot Pie


Last week I wrote about how I like to Double Up on my meal that I'm cooking for dinner and freeze the second portion as a freezer meal for later use.


I shared one of my favorite recipes for Lil Cheddar Meatloaves and I am plowing ahead with more freezer cooking. I'm trying to cook one beef and one chicken meal a week for storage, so last week I made a second freezer meal: Chicken Pot Pie.

I think Chicken Pot Pie is a definite comfort food. I prefer mine with a biscuit topping, but Ian likes it with pie crust, so, this time, pie crust it was!

The ingredients are very simple:

(ingredients are for a double batch, one for that night, one for freezing!)

  • 2/3 cup butter
  • 2/3 cup flour
  • 2/3 finely diced onion (about one medium onion)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 3 and 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1 and 1/3 cup milk
  • 6 cups boiled chicken, shredded (I love it finely shredded, so I use my food processor)
  • 2 cans of peas and carrots, drained
  •  Pie Crust or biscuit topping
Directions:

1.) Melt butter in large pot
2.) Add flour, onion, salt, and pepper
3.) Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. until mixture turns a deep yellow/light brown.
4.) Pour in broth and milk and let entire pot come to a boil for 2-3 minutes
5.) Mix in chicken and peas/carrots.
6.) Pour mixture into two separate casserole dishes- 8x8 or 9x9
7.) Top with your choice of pie crust or biscuit topping
8.) Bake, one dish at a time, in an oven for 35 minutes at 425 degrees.
(bake only 20 minutes for your freezer meal.)

Enjoy! It really is a simple meal, especially if you are using boiled shredded chicken in several other dishes that week. I tend to make this in the same week I am making chicken enchiladas or bar b que pulled chicken, so that I can just buy a GIANT bag of frozen, skinless, chicken breasts, boil for 20 minutes, and shred it all in one go.

Recipe originally from Betty Crocker




No comments: