Thursday, August 29, 2013

Grace's First Day

Grace started preschool two weeks ago, on August 15th, 2013!


As soon as we arrived in Nashville we got in contact with our local church to see if there was any room for Grace to join in their weekday preschool program. Unfortunately, the class was full and they wouldn't know if anyone wasn't coming until the first day of school was done.

So her Tuesday and Thursday class began on August 13th, but she was not there. We got the phone call that there was room for her and she started on that Thursday!

I had been hoping that she would get in for several reasons:

1. I knew she would love it- she is incredibly social and loves to be busy around other people.
2. She would be bored out of her mind if she stayed home with us, since we have about three toys here and no real (safe) outdoor space.
3. And if she was bored out of my mind, I would be losing my mind on a daily basis.
4. I also wanted her to have as many normal American experiences as possible. I don't know if we will ever be able to afford preschool overseas but at least she will have gotten to go to preschool for the six weeks that we are in Nashville!

Sure enough, Grace LOVES going. There has never been any trouble dropping her off. Most of the time she doesn't even say "Bye!" She just runs off into the classroom and settles in! She looks forward to us packing her lunchbox (hello, kitty, duh,) and is usually hopping around the classroom when we pick her up.

Today, on day 5 of class, she finally fell asleep and took a nap while her class napped. The teachers were all proud and all I could think was "But now she won't take a three hour nap when we get home!"

I'll have to have a little chat with Grace about that one.

I am so grateful for this opportunity for Grace!

1 comment:

Lyndsey said...

She looks so cute in her little first day picture! How fun that she will get to experience preschool even if its just for a short time (and nice for you!) I hope Liam has as much fun as she has been having! :) I'm nervous for him - I think he's starting to really sense all the changes coming and he's been clingy lately...